This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies. More information

Cell: 705-646-4693
Office: 705-765-6878






Boathouse Lease Agreements

Following last week's article about open or closed SRA's I thought it only natural to talk about boathouse lease agreements on crown land.

In a nutshell

Often times you are required to have a lease agreement with the government and pay a yearly lease fee for having a boathouse that occupies crown land. Very simply, if you have a boathouse with a second story or with living quarters situated over crown land then occupational authority and the payment of an annual rent is required.

Boathouse with living quarters illustrating which portion requires lease agreement

One factor which should be acknowledged when purchasing waterfront recreational property is whether the land and water under the boathouse is privately owned or retained by the government. Most of the properties in our beautiful Muskoka cottage country and surrounding area are already paying a lease or have purchased the land underneath the living space portion of the boathouse.

Single story boathouse does not require lease agreement

Boat houses with no living space such as the one pictured above are not required to have a lease agreement with the MNR. For a more detailed account of the rules and regulations involved please contact me and I would be happy to discuss this with you. Click here if you would like the document entitled Ontario Boathouse on Crown Lake/River Bed emailed to you.